Monday, October 08, 2007

It’s Breaking News: The Second Song

My confidence soared after writing the first song. Actually writing lyrics was not something new for me. Few people know that I started my career as a lyricist. It's an interesting story but Woh kahaani phir sahi! But it has been a long time and after writing the first song, I was a little more confident about writing the next one. Alas, Vishal informed me that there was to be no other song! I was disappointed. Just the title song for my first ever Hindi movie seemed so less to do!

I got my opportunity during one of the script reading sessions. Vidya, a TV journalist, conducts a sting operation and it is during the sting operation that she feels that things are going horribly wrong. It's a prick of the conscience which ends up confusing her and making her ask herself some fundamental questions about her own ideology. She finds the answer in the words of her uncle, who runs a small newspaper in a small town but is at ease with his conscience. Her uncle gives her an insight into this question. She returns from the Uncle's house with a clearer vision of what to do next. I suggested to Vishal that this was an opportunity for a song. I wrote a song which was her journey to & from her point of insight. The first half mirrored the confusion in her ideology. The second half reflected the clearing of cobwebs in her mind. Here is the song.


M - कैसा रस्ता, कैसी मंज़िल?

कौन है तेरे आगे?

तू किसके पीछे भागे?

F - इक तो ये मन ख़ाली ख़ाली

उसपे तेरी नज़र सवाली

अब तू ही बता ऐ ज़िन्दगी मैं क्या करूँ?

गुज़रे लम्हें, बिखरे मोती

फिसले जैसे हाथ से रेती

अब तू ही बता ऐ ज़िन्दगी मैं क्या करूँ?

M - कैसा रस्ता….


M - आईनों के नगर में हर कोई अजनबी है

किस भूल भुलैय्या में खोई ये ज़िन्दगी है?

F - पैरों में छाले छाले, दिल की कहानी बोले

ग़मख़ार कोई नहीं है

मंज़र उलझी राहों का, दरिया जैसे आहों का

और पार कोई नहीं है


M - सूरज का रस छलके छट जाए सब धुंदलके

भटके राही को भी मंज़िल मिल जाए

मन के ही मंजीरे जो बाजे धीरे धीरे

तो दिल की गलियों में फिर कलियाँ सी खिल जाए

F - आँखें खुली तो पाया, मैं थी और तेरा साया

और ज़िन्दगी भी नयी थी

दर्पण जो मैनें देखा, तेरी क़िस्मत की रेखा

माथे पे मेरे सजी थी

M - अपना रस्ता, अपनी मंज़िल

अपनी नज़र के आगे

जो सोया आलम जागे!

Music : Kaushal S. Inamdar

Singers : Shankar Mahadevan, Shreya Ghoshal